5/20/15

Finally decided on my next solo project

And here's the first screenshot:


I'll just quell any theories right now: it looks like the (spoilers I guess) final area in The Music Machine, but it isn't.  This game does not take place in the same world as The Music Machine and The Moon Sliver.

I just happen to like the "red trees and sunset" look.

I'm not going to reveal too much about the game yet, because my projects tend to evolve MASSIVELY during development, but I do know that I'm shooting for a Halloween release.  As I've mentioned, I'm working on The Grandfather with MPR Art Hallucinations, so development on this project will probably be a bit slower than normal.

Despite the pretty visuals, it's going to be a horror game.  It's going to be much more straightforward than my previous two games, which focused on lore and existential musings as much as scares, and will probably be more akin to Fingerbones, in both length and relative simplicity.  I am going to incorporate some lessons learned from The Moon Sliver and The Music Machine, however.  But expect this to be a relatively short, simple game.  Again, more like Fingerbones.

I haven't decided on a distribution method yet.  It might be free, it might not, depending on certain factors.  If it isn't free, expect to pay very little.

One thing I want to do with this game is push for a much more graphically impressive experience.  Personally, I think all my games look good.  I put a lot of effort into making each of them look aesthetically appropriate and interesting, especially in terms of lighting, while at the same time making sure they're optimized to run well on most systems.  However, not everyone agrees, and I've noticed that I've gotten a bit of a reputation for making graphically under-powered experiences.  I'd like to change this, at least somewhat.  Yeah, I suck at modeling, and I'm never going to compete with AAAs or larger indie teams, but I like to think that I'm pretty good at putting a scene together with the tools I have available.

Oh, and if sunshafts aren't your thing (what's wrong with you?), here's a shot facing away from the sun:




No comments:

Post a Comment