In the past, I've generally done very little in the way of actual texture work. Usually I just used the "smart UV project" feature in Blender and covered the object in one generic image, used some simple geometry to suggest details, and used a seperate object if more than one texture was needed. I knew that wouldn't work forever, though. So now I've actually started working with my UVs and trying to add real texture detail to things. At least more than I have been.
Here's a simple little battery I made. Modeling and texturing are certainly my weakest areas, but hopefully I'll at least be able to keep things from standing out.